Canine Dermatology & Skin Care
Just like people, animals are susceptible to allergies and other dermatological conditions. Allergies and skin issues can cause discomfort and irritation in pets, making your dog feel downright miserable.
Symptoms of Skin & Allergy Problems
Typical signs of skin and allergy conditions in pets include:
- Excessive scratching and face rubbing
- Excessive licking of the feet, legs, and abdomen
- Localized hair loss
- Biting and chewing at the skin
- Recurring skin infections
- Frequent ear infections
- Chronic anal sac problems
Testing & Treatment
At Westchester Veterinary Center we can provide to help relieve the symptoms of your dog’s skin or allergy problems. Our dermatology services will help diagnose and treat chronic allergy symptoms. Our veterinarians can diagnose and treat a variety of dermatological conditions such as:
- Food allergies
- Contact allergies
- Allergic reactions to inhalants and fleas
- Autoimmune related skin conditions
- Parasites (fleas and mites)
- Infectious diseases (bacterial and fungal)
- Recurring ear infections
- Hormonal diseases
For diagnosis and treatment, we use a procedure called serum allergy testing that analyzes a small sample of blood from your dog. This serum test will help us identify which allergens are causing your dog’s symptoms. Once we have identified precisely what allergens are causing the reaction, we can start a treatment plan tailored to your dog.
If your dog is experiencing symptoms of a skin or allergy condition, please call us today to make an appointment for an exam and testing.